Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I like "different"

How many times have you heard someone say "Oh, that's...er, different"? I'm sure many of us have even used this phrase ourselves at some point. I've heard this used towards me several times in the last year. Today, I wondered when did "different" become a bad thing? And why is it used to undercut someone without obviously insulting them?

Let's get down to it. I love being different. Here's why.

I have flaming red hair. Less than 4% of the world's population is red headed. I'd say that's being pretty different. I've yet to meet someone with my EXACT shade of hair. I think it's pretty awesome that I'm that unique. How many people have the same shade of poop brown hair? Exactly.

Then comes the fact that I refuse to do things as everyone else and their brother do. I remember my eighth grade graduation dance like it was yesterday. My mom and I found this dress at the Mall of America on a sale rack and it was gorgeous. It was teal, knee-length and had cutouts up the back that I could only get away with in my slim 13-year-old frame. Not to be vain, but I looked awesome. I curled my hair and was so excited to get dolled up. When I got to the dance, no one, I mean NO ONE was wearing anything more exciting than Sunday church clothes. I totally stuck out like a hippie at a hip hop concert. I didn't care. I rocked that dress and never had one regret. Yet, I looked different.

AND don't we like to switch things up in a while? Who wants to eat vanilla ice cream for the rest of their life? Screw that. Bring on the Ben and Jerry's Half Baked or Birthday Cake Remix from Coldstone.

We all make different decisions. We all like different things. THANK GOD! I actually pity the people that follow the crowd like sheep because they're afraid of what everyone will think if they have an opinion. Have a brain people.

So next time you say or even hear someone say the phrase "oh, that's different", remember how boring life would be if everyone was the same as everyone else.

1 comment:

Cori said...

I left you a message on my blog, but thought I'd tell you here, too. I LOVE YOUR INVITATIONS! So modern and just wonderful. And very DIFFERENT!
P.S. Clean your room.