Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Will work for sushi

I've decided that the only thing scarier than getting your first real job out of college is getting your first real job out of college in a foreign country.

I began sending resumes out to places in Singapore yesterday. My options are limited based on whether or not I understand what the position is and whether or not I think I will be able to understand what people are saying to me on a daily basis.

For example, as a journalist in Singapore, I doubt I'd understand anything said to me in an interview. This would result in me sitting in front of a computer crying the night before deadline without a story because I couldn't understand what my source said to me. Negative. Not gonna happen.

I've opened up my horizons a little. I'm applying for PR stuff, office administration stuff and other stuff that sounds somewhat close to what I went to school for. By close, I mean that some of the words match things they used to tell us we could do in school. I really have no idea. The whole journalism degree is funny. I studied magazines, but the professors tell you that most likely, you'll end up in something totally different. The entire scope of the degree includes PR, advertising, broadcast, newspaper, online news and magazine. To me, those are all VERY different careers. They did teach us a little about each, but I'm pretty scared to see what I'd come up with in a creative team at an ad firm.

Then again, people say that you just need a degree for most jobs. In that case, let's just roll with the punches.

So I sent a resume out for two US Embassy jobs and one job as a PR and Marketing Consultant at a cosmetics company. The last one asked for a recent photo with my resume. Interesting. I'm actually pulling for that one. I like the superficiality already.

Really though, I'm not holding my breath just yet. I just figured that I should get the ball rolling before I end up spending my first two married months on the couch with Oprah, Ben & Jerry. Not so good on our finances and not so good on my ass.

We'll see how it goes.

2 comments:

Cori said...

They asked for a picture? I love it. You ought to have an advantage there----not many redheads in Singapore, I imagine.

Megan said...

I know. Maybe they'll even ask me to be a spokesperson (aka model) ;)