Friday, August 8, 2008

It's growing on me

I think you all know that I was pretty reluctant to try the food of Singapore at first. However, after trying a few things here and there, I'm finding that it's not so bad. Now, don't get me wrong, I'd still prefer to be able to go to Applebee's or Olive Garden for a familar airconditioned, evening. I'm just finding that the food isn't so terribly bad and I can sometimes get a little craving for it. (Don't worry Taco Bell, you're still my favorite.)

I've lifted some pictures of some Singaporean dishes that I've tried and liked recently.


This is Lumpia. It's actually a Filipino thing. Jenny from the post office (and who's also from the Phillipines) makes this for dinner parties and big functions. It's delicious. It's meat, veggies and spices diced up very small, wrapped in a rice flour tortilla and fried. Sometimes she serves it with chilli sauce. It's definitely a crowd pleaser. Think of it as an Asian chimichanga.

Next up is Mee Goreng. The first time I ate this, I was in the dark and was terrified. I don't think anyone should eat food they're unfamiliar with in the dark. This stuff was even scarier because it's noodles and lots and lots of vegetables, or so Aaron said. You have to watch them Asians though, sometimes they like to throw in some dried anchovies or other creatures that still contain heads and eyes. When they turned on the lights though, I saw no faces in the mass of noodles. It's safe.

I like this stuff. It tends to be VERY spicy at times. Aaron has to "doctor" his up to be able to eat a lot of it. Sometimes they put tofu in there and the other night we had some calamari and fish in it. Mmmmm.

Then there's the Curry Puff. It's exactly what it's called. A puffed pastry with a crap ton of curry in it. Surprisingly, it originated in Malaysia. I thought it was from India cuz you know those kids love curry. Anyways, I tried a curry puff just today and it was pretty good as well. The one I had had potatoes in it. I hear they make some with meat, beans, sardines, corn, grass jelly and even durian in them. I think I shall stop at potato.

And lastly, there's my beloved Sun Maki. I get this stuff from Sakae Sushi, a chain sushi restaurant that's everywhere here. I don't know much about what's in the Sun Maki and I prefer to keep it that way. Sushi ingredients tend to scare the bejesus outta me, so I like to be kept in the dark. I do know that it comes with a slice of avocado on top and anything with avocado on it has gotta be good, right? Please excuse the cheesy picture. I got all of these pics from the web and this is the only one I could find of the maki.

Guinness has also been expanding his food repertoire. This week he has discovered he likes:

ice cubes, hot dogs, dead birds, questionably dead geckos, peanut butter and fuzz from his stuffed animals.

No comments: