Friday, August 15, 2008

Only You Can Prevent Dengue

Move over West Nile, there's a bigger problem in Singapore: Dengue. (It's pronounced like "dingy".) Dengue fever to be exact. This disease is carried by the Aedes mosquito and make you very sick or worse, will kill you.

You can only get dengue fever by being bitten by an infected mosquito. These mosquitoes tend to bite the most during dusk and dawn. I'm not sure why. Rest assured though, Guinness and I don't go outside till well into the 10 AM time slot. As for dusk, I'm usually in the house or on the MRT. I'm not really an "outdoorsy" kind of girl, especially in a country with killer mosquitoes.


Just how big of a problem is it? It's pretty big. Hundreds of Singaporeans contract dengue fever each year. It usually gives you flu-like symptoms or even a skin rash. Sometimes it can develop into dengue haemorrhagic fever which causes internal bleeding of organs and such. Great.

Since the country is a very humid and rainy mosquito haven, the government has launched many many ads to get you to dump standing water in and around your home...and to scare the dengue out of you.



They play these ads on TV and in movie theatres everywhere. Here's one of the ads that I found on YouTube. There's also ads on buses, MRT ads and huge billboards in Singapore urging you to "STOP DENGUE".

This is one of the really terrifying ads that are out and about in Singapore.

While I think it's a little over the top, I'd agree that it's pretty damn effective.

Now, I'm not only scared of the snakes in Singapore. I'm scared of all things that crawl, jump and fly. Even the ants bite the crap out of you here.

The insects are pissed in Singapore.

1 comment:

Jeni said...

OMG I almost spit coffee out of my nose laughing at this as soon as I read the title because I could hear you saying it in that deep man voice that says it on TV. I just bought some hardcore bug spray/sunscreen at the travel center at Marina Square for this exact reason. Oh and the malaria in Cambodia. Yipee!