Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Never too old for dolls

Aren't these the cutest things you've ever seen? No? Whatever, I think they rock.

These are my Kokeshi dolls that I bought on our trip to Japan. I love them. Kokeshi dolls are handpainted wooden dolls that were originally toys for the children of farmers. They're quite simple in design, but some may have very elaborate paintings on them. Nowadays they are sold to tourists as it is has become a famous Japanese craft. They sold these in every souvenir shop we entered. I heart them a lot. I hope to get more the next time we're in Japan. They are made in different colors, heights and widths. They also come with different hair-dos and facial expressions.

Wikipedia says that the Mii characters on Nintendo Wii games are based on the Kokeshi doll. I've been taught to not believe everything you read on Wiki, but I'd say they look pretty similar.

Now my house has proof that I live in Asia...or at least have visited it. :)

2 comments:

Cori said...

Ooooh! Bday present for you sis!

Cori said...

I meant to say for YOUR sis! :) LOL