Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I hate to tell you this, especially if you have student loans out the wahzoo

Did you know that a Singaporean citizen can obtain a college education for......

......you may want to sit down for this one....


I'm not kidding.....




about
$3,000.


And no, I didn't leave out any zeros. A local that I work with told me that and I think my ears started to bleed.

It hurts a little doesn't it, Americans?

I (meaning my parents and I) spent over that much in books alone at a university in Kansas, for crying out loud.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I know the feeling - now that I'm an Irish citizen the "EU fees" are laughably low. I have a hard time feeling bad for the students and their sob stories.

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan! I'm a student at the National University of Singapore and I pay $3000+ each semester (around $20,000 for a 3-year programme). And that's considered cheap compared to private schools in Singapore. Hope that makes you feel better!

Anonymous said...

Well, its subsidized, but don't forget that its considerably more difficult to get in, and you have far less options in selecting your major, unless your grades are really good, in which case, you might as well head overseas (with or without a scholarship!). As a local, I say its a plus for medical school, but nothing special for all others. Anyway, some in-state fees stateside aren't too bad either, and the entire US job-market (with the notable exception for some ivy league callings like investment banking etc.) is available upon graduation. Can't say the same for local singapore grads...